Thursday, October 18, 2012

September 29, 1974 (Letter from Grace Swanson)


Congratulations on your new position!  I was so thrilled when I read of it in the church newsletter. By going into the area of library science, you have chosen a satisfying field of service to people. But -- by entering the penal service, you are enabling yourself to aid, to assist, to enrich, and permanently change those damaged lives with whom you are now working.  So many of our delinquents and prisoners are the results of poor or neglected home, bad companions, and inability to read.

A friend of mine who is both a psychologist and reading teacher worked for years at Grove City, Pa.  She was on 24 hour call -- just like a doctor -- until her health failed.  She had taught evening classes at Thiel College, also.

"George Junior" is a private place for delinquent boys and they can be put there only by orders of a judge.  If they have a good record at GJR, then no penal charges are placed against them on their life and work records.

Edna never found a good reader among the thousands of boys she worked with.  They were all very poor or non-readers.  And when a child can't read, there's very little he can do in that school room to make his presence felt -- except to cause trouble.  That brings him plenty of attention quickly. Soon, he's in trouble on the streets.  Then on and on to a disastrous ending.  I found this true in my teaching also, and tried my beset to help as much as I was able. Library books,especially easy ones, were of the greatest help to me, as well as to my poor but eager boys and girls.A few years ago, Paul and I had a wonderful vacation trip to Nova Scotia.  On our way there, we met a young college student, Michale Gaul, who was also on vacation.  We became admiring friends of this unusually fine Christian young man.  Since then we've kept in touch by letters.  He graduated from college in May 1972 and was immediately placed in his favorite field -- adult education.  He taught at Digby, Nova Scotia, until t his summer when he was placed in a jail -- rather a medium security penitentiary.  He lives a few miles from the institution where several of the workers have formed a car pool to travel from "home" to work.  Mike has always been a most sincere Christian and a devoted worker in his home church.  He will not have an endless opportunity to witnessing and helping the damaged lives of his students.  I wish you could know him, Paul.

When I called for your address, your mother told me that you were pleased with your "Crockpot" or "Cook-pot" (depending upon the manufacturer's name).  I, too, have one and think it's wonderful!!! I've never seen a cooking utensil so enthusiastically praised and used.  Clerks just can't wait to tell how  much they like it and use it.

After my daughter began to work, I finally got a crock pot for her.  Her day started at 6:00am and it was 5:30pm when she returned home to no prepared supper with 2 tired and hungry children, 1 big hungry husband, and she was a weary mother.  It was a bad time, as you can imagine.  Everyone wanted food right away -- and who wouldn't?   She was delighted with her new way of cooking.  It was most comforting to come home to a kitchen filled with delicious odors and to sit down to good food in a few minutes.

After giving my brother and sister-in-law one of Levinson's "cookers", I found that the Rival cookbook contained some recipes not found in theirs.  One of my favorites is the enclosed one for Beef Stew.  I hope you'll enjoy it, too.  Cathy found the Stuffed Green Peppers especially delicious. She bought ham loaf mixture instead of plain ground ham.  Her husband who didn't care for stuffed peppers, really loved these.

I must stop chattering and get this in the mail.

Again, I do hope you are enjoying the great challenges of your work, Paul, and may great success and happiness be yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment