Tuesday, October 9, 2012

August 21, 1974 (Letter from Grayce)

Reeves Memorial Library
Seton Hill College

"My home's in Montana, I wear a bandana, my spurs are of silver, my pony is gray."  Little joke (heh, heh).  After a whole 8 hours of smiling at "faculty workshop" and anticipating the same for another 8 tomorrow, it's the best I can do.

Seriously though, I am very happy that you got that job and one which (shall I be gutsy and say it?) you are well suited for (sorry about the dangling prep -- I guess I'd better clean up my act for an English major?!)

What have you been doing at home?  How are you going to get your stuff out -- 2 trips?  Dites-moi! -- obviously, you are going to have to write me in answer to these burning questions.

Now for what I've been doing (yawn, sigh, per usual).  I won't bore you (Paul says good!) with details, but suffice it to say that last week's hassles and tortures took on the manifestations of a terminal nervous disorder in combination with psychotic tendencies in my personality (my hand verily shakes as I write, just thinking of it).  I have decided that I'm either going : 1) to have a wedding which I like (a very small possibility); 2) to have a wedding which everyone else likes (at the beginning of which I will have Ange administer 10 Valium tablets and at the end of which I will say, "Is it over now?") Very likely!;  3) to have a nervous breakdown.  You must have gathered from the above that "keep your head when all about you are losing theirs" fits not me -- but maybe some negative G. Marazzo that exists elsewhere?  The possibility has occurred to me.

Actually, you would be wise to disregard this whole letter -- it being the product of a fevered mind. Living in 3 places in one (yer) (actually, I really do speak English) day, is not good for me.  I don't like change, unless I cause it, and the effect is unsettling.

The grounds here are beautiful and quiet (antithesis of Tower C), just what I need (a rest home?) to put a frew things in perspective.  My room is gorgeous -- has inside oak shutters -- I will try and send a picture if I can (aren't you thrilled?).  There are nice quiet little nooks where one can go alone and think -- which I haven't done lately very much.l  There is a little place outside where you would love the view -- just miles of it.  I will also try and capture it for you.  Maura Hall has lots of neat places.  (Maybe you've already seen it -- did you visit Barb here?)

Well, I'll be going.  I will get mail quicker if you mail it here c/o Reeves Memorial Library S.H.C. Greensburg 15601 ok?  Take care and write when you can.  I really envoy hearing form you.

No comments:

Post a Comment