Monday, October 15, 2012

September 16, 1974 (Letter from Gordon Hill)


Just a note from the former MSP librarian....

Any help or introductions I can give you I will gladly do.  Especially in Deer Lodge, of course.  Has Dick given you the manual I was asked to write, for the position?

I also would be able to donate newspapers I subscribe to, namely The Guardian, The Militant, Berkeley Barb, and the Black Panther Intercommunal News Service.  Any or all of these.  For my materials selection philosophy on these items, see the above-mentioned manual.

The MSP librarian who preceded me, John Mason, now as MHS, is a close friend, and I hope you get acquainted.

At any rate, I wish you well.  Let me know where you are living.  I am working on a long article, on my MSP experience, and if and when it appears someplace, I will let you know.

I started work at Tacoma Public Library August 26th, as librarian for the Northwest Room, which is the Pacific Northwest collection, and I'm just getting into the job.  I will emphasize Montana, Idaho, B. C., and Native Americana, these areas being a lot weather than more local, recent subjects.

Take care, and keep cool.  You will be a very valuable staff worker to the men, especially.

At first when I arrived from the black ghetto area in Seattle to start work in Deer Lodge (just as winter hit in '72 -- a week after I arrived in late November  temp went to 40 below!), I was somewhat paranoid.  I came to like Montana, however, and would like to return, in a year or so, circumstances permitting.  Depends on how things go here.  Basically, though, I'm beginning to wonder, at age 42, if it is worth it to keep pouring oneself into a "career", when a quieter balance between it and plain living seems more sensible.  Like living and working on or near an Indian settlement: The Makah at Cape Flattery:  or in "rural" Montana....

No comments:

Post a Comment