Tuesday, October 2, 2012

June 9, 1974 (Letter from Michael)



It's taken me a while to write back, but here I am.  Today was so damned hot, above 90.  It is still hot now -- 10pm.  As I sit here writing sweat is running down my arms and face, so if any smears appear in this letter it will not be tears.  Rather it will be the sweat that comes from toiling over a rough assignment such as this letter.

You know I always worry when writing letters to English majors or the like?  I get nervous that my speling may not be correct, or punctuation: or that my word usage may not be well or grammer. Library students frighten me even more.  Probably a great number of English majors would never know there was anything wrong with my writing, but librarians would know where to look to find out.

Well enough with the serious stuff, now with the bullshit.  (But first it should be noted that I am not stoned, high, or anything else, just very hot.)  Elizabeth and I are getting married.  (Do you want to check that last sentence over again?)  Yes, it's true.  Sept 1.  We just decided the end of April. We're very content with each other and are determined to come to terms w/ our fantasies. Actually we love each other enough but more practically and realistically are the financial advantages, i.e. taxes, insurance, presents, etc.  And also it makes it a bit easier to plan a future together.  Not that I am trying to rationalize the situation.  We do love each other and have come to the realization and decision that we could be most happy with each other.  (My brother, always one to look to for support in trying times said, "So why ruin a good friendship?")

In any event Liz's parents are ecstatic that we are headed out of a relationship of sin and into one of morality and legitimacy.  The event takes place as I said on Sept 1 in her back yard in Spring Valley, N.Y.  It's to be a casual affair, casual dress, good food and drink, and a good time.  We were going to do the ceremony ourselves but the prevailing opinion determined that it should be someone "official", hence my uncle who's a N.Y. State Supreme Court Judge.  You're invited even if you can't come, but I hope you can.  (Their house is just 20 minutes outside of New York City.) Tony expects to be able to come.

Which brings up another subject -- our trip to California.  We had a great time.  First went to Palm Springs to see my grandparents, then went to L.A. and Farmer's Market.  We had a rented car and drove up the coast to Frisco.  What a beautiful, fantastic drive!  (I suppose you know all about it.)  Took about 2 days to do that, stopping along the way, staying over, taking a tour of the Heart Castle at San Simeon.  That was an incredible place.  An example of obnoxious, flaunted American wealth, at the same time very beautiful and very well put together.  (Ah, some day it will belong to the people.) 

We spent 3 days in San Francisco with Tony taking us all over the place.  We had a good, fun time there.  Tony was fine and we were both glad to see each other.

Now we are back with the "post-vacation blues", back to work and reality.  The store has been doing relatively well, that means better, but I am still in debt thanks to my brother.  But I've halved it.  It was about $6,000 now it's about $3,000.  So before when I used to wake up twice in the middle of the night to remind myself, now I get up only once.

6/12/74 - Hi, back again.  So what's up with you?  Are you going to Manhasset?  Write back as soon as you can. I hope we can get together over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment