Monday, October 22, 2012

October 6, 1974 (Letter from Tom)



Received your letter Saturday, and tonight is the first chance I've had to respond.  Letter writing is a very moody thing with me, sometimes they flow and sometimes they drip.

It sounds like you got caught by an early hurricane and swept along with good fortune.  Is it really big sky country?  I've always wanted to visit and spend some time in the western states, among other places, and this certainly increases the incentive.

It's a cold, cold (record cold!!) October night in Pittsburgh, and I'm glad I don't have to go out for any reason tonite because I haven't adjusted to the abrupt change in the weather.  I am in a new apartment since I saw you last, I'm living in Regent Square, near Frick Park and just a few steps from the Regent Square Theater, where Bobbi and I and a friend went to see Chinatown a couple of weeks ago.  We have a large apartment 6 rms $125 with heat included since it's a radiator steam set-up.  The place is no palace, but it has a lot of potential and the price is reasonable given the alternatives in Pittsburgh these days.  It's convenient because there is a drug store, a nice laundromat with some good magazines and new 20 cent paperbacks that are very decent, then there is an Isaly's and a hardware store, three of four little food stores and a bunch of other little places I don't pay much attention to like beauty parlors, a gun shop, etc.  One big drawback is that there are two bars adjacent to both sides of the building which attracts a very loud and annoying group that likes to sit in front of the place -- occasionally and rev their motorcycles for a half hour or so.  All in all, it's alright, but we are keeping our eyes open for a house somewhere around here that we can rent because we like to have more freedom to do what we want.

I have also started a new job, which I don't think I knew about when I spoke to you last.  I'm working at the Friend Peace Center on Ellsworth Ave in Oakland.  I saw an ad in the Forum one Friday and thought it might just be what I was looking for.  I found out that I got the job a day or two before I did the biodecision study and I started a couple of days after I got out, and I've been very busy most of the time since then.  The center is refocusing its energies, while trying to keep the war in Indochina in the public eye, as you may know we are spending almost 2 billion dollars in Indochina and it's not going to peaceful pursuits.  Also we are involved in military counseling for anyone who wants to know what their rights are in terms of the military.  I am responsible for this military counseling since the woman I replaced was doing it before me, and I also do a one hour radio program on WYEP-FM that new station in Oakland -- the program is called -- for lack of a better name -- Friends Peace Center report.  Well I'm not sure that this is the thing I was looking for, it's a lot of work and very little compensation, not only that I earn $50 a week, but there is a definite lack of helpful advice and encouragement from the people I work with, but each day is kinda different there and I may resolve my doubts yet.

The biodecision experiment was interesting actually and the group I was in got the better half of the deal and I would do it again, though naturally I would like to be in a position where I would not need to consider doing these studies, but for the moment I'm glad to have it.

I'm really curious to hear more about Montana, and your experiences in the prison, and I would like to write more but I must be up very early tomorrow because I have to get some blood drawn at biodecision before I go to work tomorrow (ha!).  Well listen, I hope to stay in touch with you and I expect to be in a biodecision study starting the 11th and then the following two weekends which is usually  a good time for me to write so I hope to year from you some time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment