Monday, October 1, 2012

April 23, 1974 (Letter from Chris)



Sorry it's taken me so long to return your letter, but a number of things have come up which have kept me from sitting down.

First off, I've left my job at the Great Gatsby (where I had been transferred) to find a happier working environment.  For the last 3 weeks, unemployment has been my only occupational activity.  It seems it was easier to get everything done when I was working then it is now.  Between going to unemployment offices -- this office, that office, and job hunting  I put in more work than I did working at the restaurant.

My other time consumer is trying to find an apartment for the summer and fall.  Cheri and I are going to move.  Her mother is moving back to Buffalo, so we have to find separate apartments. This is not all bad however -- since things have been getting very tense at times between Cheri and myself.  I will probably look for a place with Zeb, a friend of mine from Pakistan -- and his girlfriend from Tahiti (or is it Haiti).  When I find where I'm at -- I'll send you the address.  

Right now I'm listening to Beethoven's 6th and my two canaries, that think it's an opera.  They make more noise than any pet I've ever had.  I was going to roast them at first, but I've decided to prove my superiority by tolerating them.

I think you told me two (or was it three) times before that you had broken ties with her.  I just read an article in Cosmo about men like you -- who possess weak, obsessive women until they are no longer needed and then casually discard them until they are needed again.  You always were a monster Paul!

Getting back to reality -- I hope your job this summer -- whether in Boston or N.Y. -- is enjoyable. Either way I'm sure it will be better than a Buffalo summer.

In your letter, you ask about a noticed changed in my social life.  Yes, it seems that all I do is work, go out for a drink, come home, go to sleep, do my odds and ends for 3 or 4 hours, and then start all over again.  My day off is almost always a different combination of the same 5 activities. Visit Cheri's relatives, do a laundry, go to a movie, cook a meal, get stoned and watch TV.  That's about it.  It really gets to be a drag.  My life is so "normal" and "regular", I can predict Cheri's stomach aches, headaches, menstrual cramps.  I am very slowly beginning to break out of that.  I am not strong enough to do it all at once -- I suppose because I don't want to hurt Cheri -- or myself.  Getting separate apartments will be the beginning.  Then if I can find a nice job -- most other problems will work themselves out.

So Paul -- when you get around to it, write again -- let me know where you'll be this summer.

I'll send you my new address as soon as I know it.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment