Monday, October 29, 2012

October 25, 1974 (Letter from Barb Nelson)

Central Avenue, Great Falls Montana
Photo taken September 1974

Hello.  How have you been?  What's the weather like in Montana?

I did write you a letter a few weeks ago, but I never mailed it to you for some reason   Sorry about that Paul.  Then I went home and didn't have too much time to do anything but relax.

Now that you have been in Montana for a month or so what are you impressions?  What have you been doing in your spare time.   Sightseeing?  Mom and Larry told me you planned to do some writing in the near future.  What particular type of writing do you plan to do?  They said short stories but in what form?  It should be interesting to read some of your stories. I hope you have enough patience to be able to accomplish what you start to write.  I work under a second class photographer who just got booted out of the photo lab because of his behavior.  They said his work was excellent but his attitude was very immature for a 22 year old man.  He gets all excited over an incident and acts irrationally before he has a chance to think matters through.  He could try to understand why he is in the situation he's in.  It's hi own fault.

I had a nice visit at home.  It took me 11 hours to get home and by the time I got there my head was all in knots.  I did decide to move back on base and stay there, after I had a talk with the family.  Larry and I got to talking about saving our money and then going in on some land together. I will sell my car in the near future and pay off my college loan.  Then I will put away more money for the future.  With a goal in mind I'll be able to withstand the Navy for three more years.  Then Larry and I talked about going to Sweden, after I get out of the Navy, if we weren't married by that time.

So I'm doing fine at Norfolk.  I work in cleaning, but it is my choice.  I scrub the stairs every morning and usually run officers around base.  It's not too bad of a job for the moment.  I'll have to see what opportunity arises in the future.

I will start handywork.  I have three orders for sweaters already.  I want to learn to crochet because I have found some cute patterns.

I already know what I'm making for you, Larry, and Dale for Xmas.  I will have to find the right material.

Well, that's about it for now.  Take care and have a happy birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment