Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 27, 1974 (Letter from Sue)



Really!  How could you -- how dast you insult my humble, but honest typewriting, that which has earnt me my honest (but more humble) living till I went and became a "professional"?!!  My nimble fingers ((at the machine, my dear) are known far and wide for their skill.  Though the old agility does seem to have worn off a bit of late.  It's just their (my fingers) way of telling me that they do not want to be party to any secretarial jobs.

I did like the ring of Monagahela Queen, though I suppose "Gateway Clipper" does sound clippier....

Oh -- almost forgot -- BIG NEWS!!!!  I found a job.  Not completement what I had wanted, but close enough for the time being; the salary is decent, and it will fulfill one aspect of my many faceted bag of desires...I am going to be a children's librarian in a spiffy elementary school (miles from downtown Montreal -- I take the train at the crack of dawn, and the principal meets me at my stop in front of the Kentucky Fried Chicken stand -- I feel like a combination of a character form Theodore Dreiser and one from Ken Kesey...)  I actually have (or will have) two schools to work with, though the second one isn't assigned yet.  I'm looking forward to it -- I'll have complete charge of the library and all its creative activities.  The principal seems quite encouraging of my desire to do some sort of children's theater.  Also he seems to be willing to be completely laissez-faire with regard to selection, general  policy, etc... Tomorrow is my first day; I'm sort of nervous.  (But then, I never did have your ability at nonchalance when nonchalance is due.)

One of the reasons I took the job (I'm  still having struggles with the red-taped Immigration & Manpower Service re my work permit, so I shouldn't be premature) is for the fact that school-related people get vacation...like summer and Christmas and Easter.  A very good reason to stay within the hallowed halls of academia, though Wendell would have a fit to hear me say it.

(By the way -- re Wendell's remark about "shooting your wad off before you start" -- I vaguely remember something like that, but it isn't entirely clear...What do you mean by "revealing" -- are you referring to, shalt we say, homosexual tendencies he might have?  Or are you referring to his cautious nature?  (Sort of a don't count your chickens before they hatch simile.)  Please elaborate.  Inklings into Wendell's mysterious character fascinate me.  I don't agree that he is a pompous asshole -- just a big pedagogical at times, and certainly a pain in the ass occasionally.  But I think that his heart is in the right place, which is more than I can say for the like of someone like Needlenose (B.N.) -- and I can forgive a lot for a heart in the right place...)

We have been getting involved in several film series (which is something I imagine you miss in Deer Lodge).  There's some good one around -- saw "Lacombe Lucien" which is Louis Malle's latest , and very good, if somewhat distressing.  I am finally going to see Harold and Maude (with the memory of your glowing praise), and am quite excited about it.  Montreal is progressing (I seem to say that in all of my letters -- a somewhat ambivalent statement at best) -- some day's I'm fascinated by the mix of old/old and new/garish -- on those days I enjoy walking around the city, down by the waterfront and across the tracks, looking up to Mount Royal in all its autumn splendor, enjoying the mellifluous sound of French being spoken with a peculiarly North American style.  But other days, I am depressed by the psychic and ecological pollution of the construction which is going on everywhere and ruining the flavour of the city; I become irritated with what has been pounded into my brain as the hostile attitude of the French-speaking Quebecois.  On these latter days I become very homesick for Anywhere U.S.A., and envy y ou in your rustic Lodge of Deer (as the French would translate it.)

I think I'd better continue by hand.  This typewriting is really sick, and probably annoying to read.

I'm glad you're continuing with your writing.  I think it is important.  And I'm glad that you find your surroundings conducive to a satisfying way of life.  This is very important, I think -- I think you're going to come out of Deer Lodge with a well defined sense of time and place -- (I think Pittsburgh did the same thing; for both of us).  It's exciting to have the mobility (and desire) to travel, exciting as well as very satisfying, I think.  Such a perspective is gained by seeing other ways of life and all that cliched sort of thing.  I know I'll always look back on Pittsburgh as one of the most courageous ventures I have made -- and one of the most ultimately rewarding.  (I think there's something -- lots, in fact, to be said for travelling as a single person, as well -- tho the companionship of being part of a couple is nice too.  What thinkest thou?)

Got a letter from Janet the other day -- she is working as an A/V librarian (w/ no A/V budget) in Marty's medical school.  She says the atmosphere is very congenial -- her only (mild, at that) grip is that the life of a med student's wife is not even semi-carefree bliss!  I understand all too well the loneliness for us gregarious creatures who are wedded to students.  (Loneliness in a strange city, I mean, Janet feels much in Philadelphia as I do in Montreal: not knowing anyone.  But it will come.)

Also got a bizarre letter from Michael -- which was mainly an enumeration of all his activities -- he's really becoming BTS (Big Time Stuff) with his interest in T/A, etc.  I hear thru the grapevine that he's not too happy at  Maryland though; however, Blanche is the source of this so -- as Grant says -- I "take it with a box of Morton's and an umbrella as well..."

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the joint.  (I wrote to my parents about your job -- my father work -- counselling -- w/ inmates of the county jail -- and he says he has a distinct memory of the Deer Lodge prison as a "dreary place".  Is it?  The library sounds OK, anyway...)

Sorry that you and the dumplings of Deer Lodge aren't sweeping each other off your respective feet.  Where's that sturdy, adventurous pioneer Montana stock?  Well, perhaps your Belle of Boston will decide to trek westward.  In the meantime, I know you can be stoic about spiritual solitude.

I must dash off and take my bread pudding from the oven (doesn't that sound domestic?  Believe me, it is.  Sometimes my gypsy spirit rebels).  So I shall close.  Do write again soon -- your letters are a joy to behold, tumbling fatly through the mail slot.

Ta, ta till the next time, when I shall enumerate the no doubt fascinating tale of my escapades as a school librarian.

P.S.  I am a little confused about this Leslie thing.  In the last letter before this, I am sure that you said something to the effect that your relationship w/ Leslie was the most whole or complete, or something, you had yet encountered.  Yet, in your latest letter you state unequivocally that you have "broken off with Leslie for good".  My opinion, should you choose to accept it, is that Leslie's lack of "spunk" has been casual in her current (and future?) "lack of Paul".  N'est-ce pas?  I do think that an ounce of gumption is worth a pound of all-suffering patience.

Again -- I hope that Montana offers some of its famed majestic beauty, feminine variety, soon -- and that you don't get hornswaggled and hog-tied unwittingly into the blessed state of matrimony.  (With the rich rancher's only daughter, perhaps?)  Actually, I know it could never happen to you -- you're too damned obstinate!  (A sterling quality -- just as gumption is!)

No comments:

Post a Comment