Monday, April 9, 2012

May 27, 1970 (Letter from Renee)


I arrived home to our "middle class" apartment and found your letter awaiting me.  It shook the hell out of me -- but for a good reason.  You see Paul, I never realized until now that I've lacked the spirit of getting interested or involved in things lately I have become so enraptured in the world of Morrey and Renee that I almost forgot what was going on around me.  For some reason, your letter pointed out to me and showed me a much wider insight into what my friend Paul Nelson -- the man is like, rather than Paul Nelson the boy I knew only on the surface but not inside.

I suppose I should begin by telling you that all is fine with Morrey and I.  We are very happy, in love, and comfortable in our home.   Our wedding was a success (at least we got married in the process).  The honeymoon was great, and life, in general, is treating us most kindly  I'm not going to school this quarter, but will return for summer session.  I have only 3 more quarters before I graduate with a Bachelor of Ed in English degree (whoopie!).  I am working parttime in the afternoon as a secretary and my job is very nice -- and very easy -- and requires little brain drain.

They've been having real hell here at OSU and the National Guard surrounded the place for 1 week after the campus re-opened.  Things are really shaky with the university -- and the damned-ass administrators move to action so slowly and incompetently that it makes your skin crawl.  Isn't it amazing how a mere handful of strikers and real radicals (SDS and the whole left wing) can lead thousands down the drain with a ruckus that's been going on for about a month.  About 35,000 students commit themselves to "nothingness", while the minority remainder cook up quite a stew - - and end up boiling themselves and everyone else in the pot.  I have to admit, I sit on my fat ass and complain and bitch and don't do a goddamned thing about right"ing" the wrongs, but I don't really feel that this is where an education is to be found.  I could really give a shit about the "poor" black students whose demands are so ridiculous and irrelevant to the cause of their education.  Isn't it stupid that you and I pay taxes so those on welfare can have free time to riot, loot, and raise a stink about being discriminated against?  Hell, that's the easy way out.  The age old adage of God helps them that get up off their asses and help themselves really works, and as far as I'm concerned that IS an admirable cause -- and the only one.  Maybe my views have become more WASPish (if you leave out the P for Protestant).  I just don't believe that any good comes out of destruction, and I'm all for getting an education but not an education in rioting, looting, and then crying sour grapes in my beer.  So much for that.  It's a worn out topic already and it's beginning to sound like  broken record.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about Nixon -- but I feel the real rat of the pack is good old two-faced Agnew.  What a miserably poor excuse of a statesman and representative he is.  What a complete puppet-like asshole!

Paul, it seems really funny, but even though I'm married I still feel the closeness of our friendship -- nothing like that ever changes.  It's kind of neat to know that even though Morrey and I share a lot of things, I still have very close friends like you that I don't share with my husband.  I can't explain it -0- but it's nice to know that my past life isn't blotted out -- nor are my longtime friends.  Part of me inside is still Renee Shulman and part of me is Prayzer.  Get what I mean?

It was so great to receive your letter.  I'm so glad you took the initiative to write.  Would you believe that I still haven't finished sending thank you notes from our wedding yet?  Your letters are so packed full of ideas and thoughts and I really want to sincerely tell you how much I respect and envy your style of writing -- and your thought processes.  Two years of college has really made a noticeable change on your outlook Paul, and I really like you twice as much as I ever did before.  That sounds stupid perhaps, but there are many things in you which I never saw before -- or perhaps never looked for, and I have a great deal of admiration and respect for you.

It's funny but people like Mardi and Barb and Mike have no effect on me anymore.  They exist and I'm aware of that fact, but they never did, nor do they exist as real for real people to me.  Mike is still off in his wonderland of idealism -- "tell everyone to go to hell" -- "I don't need him or them" stage -- and he lives in a world of what I call unrealism.  As a matter of fact, the last time I saw Mike he totally turned me off.  I'm not easily impressed by his fraternity and friends and social college sphere.  There isn't any substance to his personality, besides the fact that he likes to impress people with who he does things with and where-- rather than what's on his mind or in hi head and why!  This might not make any sense to you at all, but I do feel this way and thought you'd like to know why.  Never never learned to "give of himself" intellectually, materially, or otherwise.

Mardi and Barb are another case altogether.  They live in a dream world to which few can enter.  They're like a couple of "teenagers" with few values, goals or ideas to call their own.  I don't mean to sound snobbish or uppity Paul, I'm just trying to figure out a few things for myself -- as I write this letter.  What I am trying to say is that I doubt if I would choose Mardi, Barb or Mike as friends today if I had just met them.  Being married doesn't make any of the difference -- it's just that I'm slowly taking more time to analyze things, while before I jumped like a bat out of hell.  So much for that!

Glad to hear about y our California trip.  Sound exciting, stimulating, and adventurous.  If you happen to be anywhere near Columbus I'll never forgive you if you don't come and visit -- friends and all.  We've got plenty of room to sleep 3 extra people p-- so please come if you can arrange it.  Just give me a little advance notice so I can pick up the dirty underwear off the floor.  Just joking!

We have a swimming pool and club house with our apartment and we really enjoy it.  Don't have to go much further than our front door for a swim -- so it makes paying the rent a little nicer every month.

Morrey and I are hoping to move to Atlanta Georgia when I graduate and find a job.  We just love it down there and the climate couldn't be better.  I hate Columbus and can't wait to get out of this big farm city!

We are coming to Warren on June 12th, for the weekend, so if you're still in town please give us a buzz.  I expect at least a postcard from you when you get to California.

I really got to stop now cause my hungry husband will be growling at the door for dinner pretty soon and I haven't even set foot in the kitchen since I've been home.

Please take care and write again very soon.

P.S.  Isn't Chaucer unbelievable?  The Miller's Tale is the best.  Can't believe something that funny, risque, and delightful was written hundreds of years ago.  Incredible -- but enjoyable reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment