Monday, April 2, 2012

April 19, 1970 (Letter from Barb Lucia)


It was really good to hear form you!  I got your letter while I was still at Carol's in Brighton.  You wouldn't believe all the shit since then -- I've changed jobs, moved around at least 942 times, was in a fire, got hit by a car -- oh life is groovy!  I'm living with two really nice girls -- we're having a good time, my job is not bad at all -- I'm staff secretary to 30 guys -- most of them are really nice and the job's not too hard -- so, enough about work.  Oh, so it's back to Gleasons for you -- lucky you.  if you can save up and take off somewhere this summer, it'll be worth it. School seems so remote for me now -- it seems like I'm just clonking around for a few months and then I'll have to go back to school -- considering I've been in school all my life, I can't believe I don't go to school anymore.  I know I will definitely go back to school soon -- if only to get back into that life -- this straight life of 9-5 is really too much -- going to bed early, dressing up every day, going to lunch at noon like 5 million other people, going home every nite to the rush hour -- geez!  And people actually do this for years and years.  Of course, they don't know any better-- what is better?  School is shit too sometimes.

It seems I've lost touch with Mardi temporarily.  She called last week and said she was moving and she'd call as soon as they got a phone.  She has a "good job" (blah) and everything is ok I guess -- I don't know when we'll see each other.  I know she and Bill will stay in Mpls. all summer -- come fall, we'll be in the same old rut again -- what are we going to do?  I wish we could all go home for a week -- the same week -- or all get together somewhere.  But then there are the responsibilities of school, jobs, rent, leases, bills, loan s-- God damn fucking world -- how can you be free in this kind of world?  The older you get, the worse it gets, too.  Just think, when we're as old as our parents, we'll be just like them -- we'll probably love it.  SECURITY -- that dirty word.

I wish I had something exciting to tell you -- you know, my movin-and-a-groovin around the old city.  I think I'm becoming a bar fly -- "juicer" -- got super bombed Monday nite of all nites, couldn't go to work Tuesday morning.  I mean there was no way I could even lift my head up -- good woman.  I've met a lot of people and they're all different form me of course, but you know, most of them are really nice.  It amazes me how good people can be -- they can really be kind!  But then they scare me too -- like Thursday, we went to the Peace Moratorium in the Common -=- it turned out to be a Black Panther takeover -- 75,000 people listening to 'You're all fuckers!  You're all going to die, white pigs" -- etc. etc.  We left early and went to Kenmore Square -- meanwhile, about 55,000 marched to Harvard Square and riot cops were waiting for them an done thing led to another and there was a full-scale riot -- 200 kids injured.-- the Square is completely wrecked.  The people at work give me no end of grief about it -- they're all super-straight business types -- I'm the only one the entire building that even went to the Moratorium!  I think it's useless to even talk to people anymore!  They can just fuck off and think what they want -- there is no use arguing!!  I hope the Panthers do take over and then they'll all shit in their pants, and their six-piece suits, complete with short hair and sideburns.  I imagine the people in Buffalo feel the same way about the "dirty hippies" at U.B.  You're time is coming, people, so get ready -- to defend your narrow little world,  Here I am, sounding just like the panthers, but I really get disgusted with the whole thing...I really can't figure out what we're all going to do.

Do you believe we all missed Renee's wedding?  Well, so much for Renee.  I hope she all lives happily ever after.  I really do -- she'll be happy I think -- screwing Morrey, having kids, etc.  I have not even talked to Joan since about February.  I should write her a letter, but I don't think she cares, one way or the other.  She'll probably be home for another summer and then back to school to marry Freddie -- God, this is unreal.  I hope Mardi doesn't marry Bill, at least not now -- that would really blow my mind.  Now if Michael get married, that would really do the trick!  The face of the world has changed in the last year and everything will probably change just as much in the next.  Good luck to us all!  Yes sir -- well, must go, Pauly -- now you take care of yourself, don't make too many trips to the music room -- I haven't smoked at all since I moved out of Carol's -- the kids here smoke quite a bit so I imagine I will -- I wish I'd get used to it so it'd do something for me!  (I think I'm immune.)  Keep writing and we may see each other in the next couple months.  I know we'll all get together -- if we all try, it has to happen!  How about some midpoint, like Armpit, New Jersey?  Anywhere!!

By now -- Peace to you.

No, Boston is not treating me like a princess -- more like a piece of shit, like very city treats everybody -- you get used to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment