Tuesday, April 10, 2012

July 1, 1970 (Letter from Herb)

How you doing dum-dum!  It was really good to get your letter.  Sorry to hear that things didn't turn out better for you this summer -- cheer up though it's not over yet.  Maybe you can get your roommates off of booze and turn them on to the finer things in life.  Anyway you've always got Mardi there, right!  I'm sure things will get better.

I'm not sure where to start to tell you what's been going on here.  Well, I'll start with the short stories first.  News from Buffalo has it that one Vincent Williams has moved into our apartment with Tony.  Just one problem we can't seem to get any money out of him.  Short of lying up there we're doing everything.  Christ is going crazy.  He's pissed as all hell.  Knowing Vinnie I don't really expect to see it though.  Speaking of Chris, he's fine.  He's in love with Liz.  He's been seeing her all the time.  She's going away this weekend but he wouldn't even think of getting a date.  After all, Liz might not like it.  He's working in the pork factory again.  So I don't see him too much.

Next story concerns Kenny and me frantically looking for jobs.  Neither of us had been very successful as of the first week in June.  So being very upset, I decided to try my ace in the hold.  The parking lot I worked in last year.   Kenny came with me.  I was surprised when I got there and found out they not only remembered me but offered me my old shift back.  Naturally I was in no position to argue, 9-6 everyday Tues and Wed off.  Now comes the good part.  Kenny got offered a job too.  After some coaxing he accepted.  Imagine Tuchman parking cars all day.  His shift wasn't as good, 12-9 every day Wed and Thurs off, but he took it anyway.  Okay I started on a Thursday and everything going pretty well.  Kenny started that Saturday.  He was looking for a new job on Sunday.  You see I sorta lied and told the boss that Kenny could drive a standard (hoping he could learn fast).   Well, everything was going fine Sat.  I left at 6:00.   Later that night I spoke to Kenny and found out he did a nice job denting a car (it was a standard).  Kenny said uh-uh.  Kenny was out of work a few hours later.

But it turned out alright.  He found a job the next week with an investment company.  It even turns out that he's working across the street from Lauren.  La di da.  He's been seeing her pretty often -- he says not because he really wants to but just because there's no one else.

So everything is going pretty well with me too.  Except that I have no weekends because of my job.  But Tues and Wed aren't too bad.  I've been seeing Barbara a lot.  She's fine.  But I've been sprouting out and seeing others too.  All in all it shouldn't be too bad a summer.  Keep in touch -- Kenny says he'll write you soon (you should live so long).  Have fun -- say hello to Mardi for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment