Friday, April 13, 2012

October 23, 1970 (Letter from Renee)


I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to write back to you but I have been most busy since school began.  I am doing my student teaching at a junior high school (9th grade) this quarter and between correcting papers, doing lesson plans, attending my own classes on campus, and keeping our home in some semblance of order I find little time for much of anything else.  I don't think I have ever been so busy before -- and so tired at the same time.

Everything is fine with Morrey and I.  We LIVE for the weekends when we both can relax and forget bout everything.  Morrey and I hope to stay in Columbus one more year and then we are planning on moving to Atlanta, Georgia.  We have to wait until we can get on our feet financially though.  Out of necessity we bought a new car.  A Volkswagon automatic stick shift is what we got and I simply adore it.  I never knew such pleasure in parking before in my life as I have with our little red bug.  I'm hell on wheels!

Student teaching is really a chore.  It's exciting, and educational, yet it is a very insecure feeling -- cause now I'm beginning to realize all the things I've forgotten.  I feel like I could go home and read every nite for a year and still not have enough knowledge to use and bring to the classroom.  The Columbus public schools are really bad.  The system, stinks and is rotten to the core.  The schools are more like jails than institutions of higher learning.  The quality of the education the kids get in Columbus is many times below the kinds of experience that we were fortunate to receive in Warren.  Although Warren might be a hold in the wall as far as things to do for kids, it sure has some of the best teachers, administrators, and buildings that anyone would want.  I'm beginning to realize why college wasn't so tough on me like I thought it would be.  Half of the kids who go to school in Columbus and then go to Ohio State don't know their asses from a hole in the ground, and couldn't write a decent sentence, paragraph, or letter if their lives depended on it.  If anything Paul, we were really fortunate to have had the good educational background from the Warren schools.  Just come to the school I'm teaching in and you'll know what I'm talking about.  I thought I'd really like to be a teacher, and that teaching would be a real challenge but from what I've seen so far, I want no part of it in the future and I'm going to look for a job elsewhere.  It's all a big face.  Ha!  "The great American dream!"  Well, enough about school.

My parents were out last week to visit and Morrey was lucky enough to get tickets for the Ohio State vs. Minnesota game.  My dad really grooved on going to the game and I was pleased that we were able to get tickets.

In June, after I graduate, I think my mother and I will be going to Europe and on to Israel for a 3 or 4 week tour.  My grandfather wanted to do this as a graduation present for me -- and I'm really excited about it.  Morrey has two uncles in Israel so I'm sure it will be fun.  Unfortunately, Morrey wont' be able to go with us because of his job and also cause we can't afford it right now.  He wants me to go though, and I just might take him up on it.  It's really hard to believe that I will finally graduate in June.  It seems like I've been in college for ever and a day, and pretty soon I'll be facing that big cruel world out there.

I doubt very much if we'll be home for Xmas cause Morrey has to work, and I'm going to try to find a part time job since I have a month off.  I do hope though that you will be able to come out and visit us whenever you have a chance.  We have an extra bedroom and you're always welcome to come.  For Thanksgiving we're going to Chicago for a 5 day weekend, which should really be fun.  Morrey and I have never been there before and we're kind of looking forward to the trip.

Well Paul, I've yaked and yaked bout myself and I hope I've filled you in on what we're doing.  I must go back to grading papers for now.  Be good and take care-- and let me hear from you again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment