Wednesday, April 18, 2012

June 15, 1971 (Letter from Kenny)



Hi shithead!  Sorry I haven't written sooner but I've been pretty busy.  I've just finished mailing out 41 letters to law schools asking for applications and 21 to business schools.  Besides that I've had so much to do at my job it's beginning to remind me of school.  The job is in the same investment survey firm that I worked for last year except that I'm adjusting clients accounts this year.  The place is so disorganized and has so many mistakes that there's always plenty to do.  It almost reminds me of the cartoon with he army guy getting this huge pile of work to do in the morning and gradually lowering the pile by the end of the day.

Outside of work things are OK.  Lauren's fine.  We've seen two Met games so far.  I saw the Braves in May (Hank Aaron hit a home run) and last Wednesday Lauren's father got us tickets to see San Diego.  They aren't too exciting but we had seats 2 rows behind the Mets dugout.  Last Friday I saw Elton John at Carnegie Hall. It was strange.  I had never been in the place and had $5.50 seats which were pretty cheap for that concert.  The place is so high that you really can't see the stage from where we were.  Anyhow, he came out and sat at the piano at the beginning and didn't say a word outside of announcing the names of the songs.  He fist played "Your Song" and followed with everything else.  It was really good, he sounded exactly like the record but you felt like you were sitting in on a recording session.  He played for a little over an hour then intermission.  Second half he came back with a drummer (Nigel Olsson) and bass and tore the place apart.  He sang "Friends", "Country Comfort", etc. along with Honky Tony Woman and Mercedes-Benz (Janis Joplin's).  He was dancing on top of the piano and jumping in the air while playing.  Despite the showing off it was really amazing how well he can play.  He really overcame the lack of closeness of the hall.

The Mets right now are losing 2-0 to the Dodgers.  Guess what?  Herbie's in Germany.  I really can't believe it.  I saw him the day he left and he was really scared.  Oh well I'm sure he'll do OK.  How's the job and everything?  Do you see Tony at all?  Sorry I can't write longer but I've got to get some sleep.  Take care and write back.

No comments:

Post a Comment