Thursday, April 19, 2012

June 29, 1971 (Letter from Renee)



I must sincerely apologize for not responding to your letter much sooner, but with the onset of graduation and about a million other things I had to put off writing until I had time to really give it my full concentration and take all the time I needed.  So much has happened over the last few months that I really don't know where to begin to tell you about "The Days of our Lives' (ha, ha!)

First of all,  let me say that I have never been happier in my whole life than I am right now.  Our marriage is really a beautiful thing and each passing day it becomes more meaningful and more enjoyable.  I finally got that old diploma into my hot little hands on June 11 and we really celebrated for about a week.  My parents came down for graduation, Morrey's family came, all of our friends partied with us and we just had one hell of a hopping good time.  I still can't believe that I don't have to go to school any more and every day now I expect to see fee cards in the mail for another quarter.  It is absolutely wonderful not to have anything on my mind and not to have to worry about grades, papers, and tests any longer.  By the same token it is still quite an eerie feeling to know that the good old college days are gone and that I am supposed to be a responsible adult out in that great big ugly word right now.  I graduated with a solid 3.0 accum but it hasn't done me a hell of a lot of good in finding a job.  I keep fluctuating between a desire to give teaching at least a try and a repulsion against all the hogwash and stupidity of the way the schools are run in the first place.  I too, Paul, am searching for the answer to "what's it all about and what am I all about" -- but thank God I have a very devoted and loving husband who gives me the security and confidence I need to cope with the situation.   It seems unreal that 4 y ears ago everyone was saying "Go to college and they'll be knocking at your door to offer you a job."  BULLSHIT!  In Columbus the situation is pretty bad job-wise and one can pound his fists on lots of doors and still not come up with a decent job.  For the mean time, I am enjoying just being plan Mrs. Prayzer, housewife and fun-lover and I'm having the time of my life -- but this kind of heaven can't possibly last forever and for financial reasons as well as the fact that I'll soon be bored here by myself all day -- I must find a job.  One of the reasons I don't want to teach is that I am very selfish about my evenings and I don't think I could stand having to do schoolwork at night any longer -- 4 years of it was enough and I want to enjoy my evenings with my husband without a guilty conscience.  I guess I'm looking for a straight 9 to 5 job in an office doing some sort of personnel work.  I am not in any big rush yet so I can take my time in finding a job that I like.

Morrey and I just got back from a week's vacation.  Spent 4 days in Chicago at my brother's and 2 days in Wisconsin.  Had a lot of fun in Chicago -- big brother took us to a lot of neat pubs and drinking places -- as well as other fun sights.  Then Morrey and I drove to Madison, Wisc. and stayed overnight there.  The campus of the U. of Wisconsin is unbelievably and absolutely gorgeous.  The campus is right on a lake and all the frats and sororities houses are like resorts on a lake.  Then we went to Wisconsin Dells which is a very scenic and pleasant place to visit.  Bought lots of cheese in Wisc and lots of booze in Chicago since it is very inexpensive there-- and since we've been doing a lot of socializing and drinking here at home.

We have really been lucky and made a lot of really great friends here in our apartment complex.  They are mostly young couples our age or older and our social life has really picked up in the last 3 months.  Last winter I was crying my eyes out because we had very few friends and not much to do socially or otherwise -- but now the situation has changed entirely and Morrey and I are hardly ever without company or friends around to do things with.  I never could stand being anti-social in my "Warren" days so I guess this is a carry-over from that.  We love our apartment because of the facilities her -- the pool, clubhouse, basketball courts and tennis -- never a dull moment.  The partyhouse is really beautiful with a wood burning fireplace and we intend to use it often this summer for parties.  Had one big party this spring -- a fondue party -- took out all of the furniture from our living room and everyone sat on cushions on the floor around a big platform we made with all kinds of various fondues and junk to eat and drink.  Went through a case of wine and I've never been so inebriated in my life.  Everybody finally conked out on our floor and Morrey put me to bed, but we had a lively time of it!!

I was surprised to hear the news about Joan -- but it all adds up to knowing her. I hope she is happy being married yet I have my serious doubts as to whether she was ready for it and if she can or could cope with it.  Haven't kept in touch with the rest of the gang besides you at all.  My mother told me that Mark had a nervous breakdown -- but I don't think her courses were reliable. I do know that he is spending the summer in Warren as a lifeguard at the pool.

As for Mardi and Barb I have to honestly say I could care less -- and I don't mean to sound stuck up or conceited about it at all.  I never was "with it" in their circle and I don't much give a damn anyhow.  I hope Barb is making something out of herself besides a bum -- cause she sure was headed in that direction when I last saw her.  I wish Mardi the best yet I have my doubts about her too.  I guess they just aren't my kind of people anymore cause I just can't see much substance to them.  They were fun to hang around with but those days are long gone and almost forgotten.  My opinion of Mike isn't much and I grow rather sick of "being impressed" each time I talk to him.  To me, Mike lacks any knowledge of reality and what this world is all about anyway -- besides fraternities and his "good school chums".  I don't' mean to sound anything but honest and if I have offended you I sincerely apologize.  Let's suffice it to say that our friendship Paul, I hope, will always exist and perhaps grow stronger as we grow older and mature.  If it sounds freaky to say "I like your mind and the way you think" let it sound freaky but I sincerely mean it.  I thoroughly enjoy your letters and your style of writing is really something else.  You are one of the most sincere and truly honest poeple I know of have known -- and there is a certain charm about you -- whether it be just plain intelligence plus personality or what -- I really do admire and respect you -- what's more I really like you!!  END sermon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do hope you can find time to come out and visit us sometime this summer.  As I've said before we have an extra bedroom -- lots of food and booze and I (we) really would enjoy having you as our guest.  Now that Morrey and I are settled down we've really found a lot of fun things to do here in Columbus -- and for the most part they are relatively inexpensive.  We're certainly not ready for our rocking chairs yet -- and just because we're settled down doesn't mean we're party poopers who retire on the dot at 11!!!  So --- please come out and stay with us for awhile if you can.  Just let me know when you are coming and I'll dust off the red carpet.  Bring a friend (either sex) if you'd like -- we've got lots of room!

Well, I started to write a letter and I've written a chapter and I have many more yet to write so I"ll close for now.  Please excuse the miserable typing and unforgivable spelling and punctuation errors -- I'm just not in the mood to be very formal in my writings just yet.

Well Paul, be good and take care -- WRITE AGAIN SOON.

No comments:

Post a Comment