Thursday, February 16, 2012

November 6, 1968 (Letter from Tina)


Thanks so much for writing -- it was wonderful hearing from you.  Sounds like UB is quite the college.  Wish I could say the same for Bobby U.  The Big Brother concert you spoke of in your letter sounded fabulous.  I'm so glad you were able to see Janis Joplin -- she's really fantastic!  Bobby U is presenting a concert tomorrow night -- Little Anthony and the Imperials.  It sure beats the Humphrey Bogart movies they've been showing on the weeknights.  Don't get me wrong, Paul; I like it so much here -- the campus is really beautiful and the dorms are very nice.  The only thing I dread is this winter.  The cold winds are really going to blow, and the sidewalks are going to be solid ice.  I think I'll consider investing in a sled or a pair of skis.

By now, I'm sure you've completely recovered from your illness.  Dr. Werlin knows the cause -- too damn much Pink Catawba.  By the way, Paul, how are you and "Peggy Pig" hitting it off?  Let's face it, Paul, it wouldn't be any fun if there weren't a few of her kind around.  I'm glad to hear that you've been doing a lot of dating -- the social life really helps.  After all, Paul, the girls probably find your masculine physique and the two sexy hairs on your chest irresistable!

School is going all right -- it gets worse as time goes on.  The work is really piling up, and we're in the process of taking midterms.  After these, "Progress reports" of your grades are sent to our parents.  I'm really dreading it.  I've been dating; going to private and frat parties.  I've been seeing two upperclassmen, both of whom are really great guys.  Joe and I are going to the concert tomorrow night.

I can't wait until Thanksgiving to see you, and everyone!  We'll have to be sure to make a trip to the Pub.  I'll drive!  I'm only sorry we won't see Mardi.  I thought she mentioned that they couldn't fly home until Christmas. Paul, I feel so guilty because I haven't written to Mardi or Mike yet.  They probably aren't even going to speak to me.  I think I must be the world's worst correspondent.   I'll be sure to get a letter off to them this week!  Honest!

I told you that I was in a room with five other girls and that we were getting along really well.  Things have changed a little.  Pat, Linda, and I tend to stick together and Melissa, Shirley (upperclassman) and Cheryl (Svenson) to their own way.  They borrow each other's clothes, and even wear Pat's at times without asking.  Next semester, it was agreed that we two factions should each move to a room for three.  Shirley, Melissa, and Cheryl are all in a social sorority here on campus, and they don't let us forget it.  Oh well, I guess I've done enough complaining.

How is everything working out in your apartment with the six of you?  Keep that refrigerator full of beer for me when I come up to see you.  I imagine you're having no problems at all with grades, Paul.  Are you still seriously considering dentistry as your major?  I hope so.  Paul, because I know you can do it; although pre-med is extremely difficult and demanding.

I can't believe that Tricky Dick Nixon has been elected President.  I didn't think he could do it.  This country is in sad shape.

Paul, I must be rushing along -- I have to do a washing, eat supper, then skip off to a class.  Take the very best care, Paul, and keep crackin'.  Watch those cigarettes and beer.  Write soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment