Thursday, February 2, 2012

September 28, 1968 (Letter from Mardi)


Guess what I was doing when I got your letter - reading Psych!  Talking about incomprehensible.  Nancy and I went downtown at 12:30 and spent the whole day there.  I love it.  You really don't realize how dead Warren is!  You're so true.  Nancy and I could never go back, it was so trivial.  I do look forward to going home at Christmas and all, but I could never live there again!  This place is no palace.  Glad you're having a hell of a good time and settled.  Poor Mark is having trouble.  It's really bad when you can't get adjusted, it's so important.  You have to give it a little time.  It took me a good whole three days to get settled and know just what I wanted to do for sure.  Some kids had to leave because they just couldn't make it.  But what in God's name can going home do unless you definitely know you're in the wrong place!

I've heard from just about everyone except Joan.  Mike likes it I guess.  He sent me a telegram the second day I was here -- raining and lonely in Bemus Point, Love, Twenty-seven!  Got a letter from Renee yesterday.  She loves it!  Tina left for school Friday.  Mom said she and Tina had a nice talk at work.  My mother is so sweet.

This week went so fast.  Last night we were going to a dance and all but Nancy and I didn't make it.  We spent the whole night over town.  I love it, I love it, I love it.  We met these really cool guys from the university and we to Luigi's for pizza.  Pace's does have better pizza. though.  We had a good time.  I've got tickets for Bill Cosby at the University Sat.  I'm going to the Minn Vikings vs. Detroit Lions game Sat. too  Donovan is coming!  I can't stand it.  I was meant to be born rich!  Today I bought a furry hat for winter in Dayton's.  It's one of those helmet jobs, it's so cute!  (I bet you're thrilled!)  I shouldn't spend my money, but you should see the shops.  Tomorrow afternoon, Nancy and I are going to spend our time at the Art Institute.  It's right around the block.  All the students sit in the park across the street and paint and study, most of the guys are odd looking types.  We're in a good section of town money wise, huge mansions all over w/ tons of parks.  It's not safe at night though.  We can't go out late w/ less than 5 or 6.  Last Friday night I got caught in a mob after a stabbing.  I was shaking all night, the whole thing was so ugly.  Some girl was just killed in a park too.  I've already ran into some great characters.  Geez!

One bad, bad, bad, bad, bad thing!  I'm going dry!  How about sending a "Bud"! or a few pints of rum!  Huh?  Huh?  Will ya huh?  It's bad here.  If you get caught at a party drinking, you're as good as dead! - criminal record, fine, jail -- the whole bit.  I can't take the chance.  I could get some stuff, being arrested once was enough and that was nothing compared to what they do to you here!  Glad to hear you're boozin it up lush!  Blaaa! to you!  Geez at Christmas I'll get tanked on half a beer probably.  Are you going to go home for Thanksgiving?  There's always a jet leaving for Minneapolis you know!  Hint, hint.  I'd love to have you come out, I don't know if you could go too long without a drink though.

I have got to go finish my psych, I have Eng comp to do yet too!

Listen, if you see Jimi Hendrix w/out me, I'll kill you!!!!  He's really popular out here.  Have your heard "Watchtower" yet?  Minneapolis is good on soul!  "Let me stand next to your fire..."  If you see Janis Joplin, I'll kill you too.  And the Chambers Brothers. 

Take care and study hard and pass!

I think you should pledge to a frat -- good idea.  When do I get to come to your frat party!!  Guess what!  I've just about stopped smoking!  Watch me though in about two weeks.  It really bothers me sometime.

I must go now!  I have to read Lady Chatterly's Lover yet too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment