Friday, February 3, 2012

October 3, 1968 (Letter from Mark)


Sounds like you're having a great time at school.  I really do like school now.  Now that I've met hundreds of kids and we've all sort of formed our own groups and we have the greatest times.  This past weekend I went to the American Breed concert and the Friend & Love.  Next week Simon & Garfunkel are coming and the Union Gap on Oct 19.  I hope to get a chance to see them.

I'm dating Melissa Beard now.  She is in art & design.  She has eyes like Liz Taylor and hair about 4 ft. long.  It is really beautiful.  She has an apartment in Greenwich Village.  Her parents invited me to come to New York City the first weekend in November.  I'd really like to go.  Her parents are very well off and she's gone to a private girl school all her life.  We think so much alike we could almost be twins the way we think.  She's smoked pot and all that, but she isn't anything like a hippy.  She's a yippy - that's what they call a hippy that dresses nice.  She is really sharp though.  You'd really like her.

I've had two chances to smoke pot, but I haven't yet and I don't think I will.  I'll have to learn more about it.

Guess what?  I've learnt to like beer finally.  I went to a party Friday and all they had was beer.  I drank it and it didn't really taste bad.  Saturday after the concert I went to a beer blast.  It was pretty good.  I don't know why I've hated it all this time, it's really isn't' that bad.

Melissa and I are going drinking Friday and Saturday to a beer party.  They finally got buses going into town every hour so it really isn't that bad trying to get into town.

My bank book is getting low from all the art supplies I have to buy:  $250 for one quarter.  I don't believe all the stuff I have to carry around.  It is really bad it must weigh at least 70 pounds.  The homework is ruff.  The problems they give us are really tuff to figure out and I spent about 12 hours a day in classes, or in my work working on art.  If I can make it through this course I know I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job.  Sure keeps me bogged down though.  This weekend I have to do a precision drawing of a parking lot full of cars, a precision drawing of a Victorian house form life, I have to build a sculpture of geometric shape and do a name composition.  They all have to be very precise and in good composition.  I'll probably spend all day Sat and Sun trying to get it all done.  If you get one project behind you're sunk.  The competition is really ruff.  Some of the kids are in art scholarship from N. Y. City, and Philadelphia and they're fabulous artists.  It's surprising that I even got in.  My art professors told me that everything I've done so far has been done as though it will be a masterpiece, which was a compliment and did give me a little boost.  Don't think I'll be able to get home till Thanksgiving cause I'll be so busy.

My new roommates are real dudes.  I'm never in my room so I don't have to spend much time with them at all.  I'm always at the girls dorm, or everyone else's.  They go to bed at 8 o'clock, don't drink, hate girls, religious fanatics.  They had a big fight because I don't go to mass and I'm not even Catholic.  The one stinks and the other reads his Catholic book before going to bed.  Real bad.  The two are here permanent, but I should be moved out real soon I hope.  I only have 4 or 5 weeks left in this room.  The one I call pencil sharpener and the other Father Enos.  One smells like a stinky old pencil.  They are clean and tidy, but I don't like them at all.  I all ready have my next roommate picked out.  He's in art & design and we should really get along great.

Have you heard from Mike lately?  He's the only one I haven't heard from since I got here.  Oh well, don't really care if he doesn't I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment