Tuesday, March 20, 2012

October 19, 1969 (Letter from Barb Lucia)


Well, Pauly, yes it has been a long time.  I just about have it figured out where everybody id -- what they're doing is another thing because nobody knows that.  Take me for an example -- DUH!  I am now working in Warren Pa. 16365 (!) at the Blue Manor Restaurant 6 days a week, waiting on a bunch of old, middle-class, conservative, mother-and-apple-pie, small-town, narrow, stagnant -- shall I go on?  I'm sure you understand -- you have only to live here to know -- Bla-a-a-h!  And Mardi spends her days at New Process -- I don't even have words for that!  She works until 5:00 and I work till 8:00 and we see each other from about 9:30 to 11:00 at nite -- during the day it's like being in solitude because there's no one to talk to at work anyway.  But, t his is my choice and not by force -- right?!  Like, I know I made the right decision about school, but duh, duh, duh that leaves me neither here nor there -- "come on in, I dig long hair" -- I wonder what song that's from --something I heard at the Cape.  I remember something and I can't remember whether it was said to me, by me, for me, sung -- complete confusion of the mind.  That place...we should all go up there next summer.  You have to work hard at a job but it's worth it 0-- worth what??   There's all kinds of action if you're a guy -- duh!  Believe me when I say it because I know!  Being a broad is a real kick in the pants -- you don't know what in hell -- ahem! -- the hell to do sometimes.

Mardi said you quit your job -- yes Paul -- Go, go, go.  Working and going to school is a real drag -- you're there, Tired, Tired, Tired!!  Are you coming home next weekend -- 24th!  Good grief, imagine having someone else to talk to -- Mari and I have been using sign language.  We had planned on going up to see you and going to Pittsburgh for a weekend, etc. etc. but shit, damn, and screw I only have Sundays off!  If it gets too bad I'll just quit and go where I want to.  I mean, this is ridiculous -- I have enough money saved to pick up and go somewhere -- so why don't I go?  Boston is the likely place, but something says, Wait, wait, wait.  Thinking rationally is completely out of the question, don't you agree?  Trusting yourself completely to your instincts will really mess you up but it's real - you know?  Duh, what am I talking about?

Today you're probably sitting around the old apartment drinking beer and watching the game -- maybe you're at the game -- blah, no it's too crummy out.  What's O.J. like in person -- I'm sure you've met.  I can't believe you've lost 20 pounds -- I've lost 5 lb and it's bad news.  You might not have eaten, slept, etc. but did you have a good time.  No.  Well, that's life, Paul.

I talked to Mike once or twice before he went back -- we were all sitting at Shorty's once (once is enough!) and he was expounding on something or other.  Michael Fraternity Kid Foster is still the same but then Mike's not all that bad.  I'd take Mike over 3/4 of the other fruit-loops running around the world  Haven't seen or heard from Renee since Christmas??  I hear through the grapevine that she and Morrey were here for awhile -- oh, Renee, you've got to be kidding -- married?!!  The pattern her parents, etc. have forced her into is so obvious -- doesn't she care?

And then there's Joan -- God, I hate to even think about what she's doing -- Mardi and I haven't heard a thing -- I can just imagine -- Freddy, Freddy, Freddy -- Oh, we are all in fine shape, aren't we -- I've never known Mardi to be so confused but then I'm a big help because I'm a complete dud at the present -- there are no answers in Warren, Pa!  Remember that.

Well, I will close up and clonk over to Mardi's now through "the rain upon the trees".  Take care -- we'll see you soon.  Paul, do you still go into a trance when you drive?  I will never go to Lum's again with you kids unless I wear my spike shoes -- honestly, laugh much.  Haven't been anywhere near Bemus Point -- how is the old dud?  Last nite Masked Martin and Girl Wonder went to the Pub (duh!) for a nightcap -- we're there  -- sip, sip, oh brother, get me out of here.  I had my proof for 21 all ready but they didn't ask me.  Mardi had a line of bullshit ready.  Well, I did say this is it!  Goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment